Monday 2 July 2012

You've got to wear the right trousers (shoes) Grommit!

There have been many occasions when someone will phone me up and ask 'could you tell me a bit more about the salsa classes'. I quietly wish that they would read the FAQ page on the website where, I know, in reality every one of the questions they are going to now ask have been answered. I also know in reality, the potential new dancer is assessing whether I might be a front for a mad axe murderer or whether salsa classes are just out and out pick up joints. All fair enough, so I don't really mind answering. 


One of the questions though, more often than not is 'should I wear trainers'. I explain that trainers are made to hang onto the floor with maximum grip, dance shoes need to give a bit. You need to be able to turn. When starting I recommend an old pair of regular work type shoes for the guys and an old pair of court shoes with a bit of heel for the ladies. 


Where I get depressed is having explained this, seeing people turn up in trainers or worse, the ladies turn up in block heel shoes. High heels, sold form, with no give. Bless these ladies, they do their best to dance in these shoes, but it is never going to go well. 


I do my best to hint that large, solid, inflexible shoes really aren't great for dancing in. They usually smile and carry on. Next week, sure enough, same wrong shoes. 


I also talk to some dancers (and here it is much more the men) who tell me things like 'I don't want to get a pair of those dance trainers 'cos people might think I think I'm a better dancer than I am'. 


While I understand to a point, if you've been coming dancing long enough to notice that the best dancers wear some kind of bespoke footwear, the chances are the time has come to get a good pair of dance shoes. It makes it so much easier to dance. The grip is right. The support is right. Ladies in high blocks, the level of your heels is right in relation to your toes. It makes it easier to make the most of what you can do. 


There are plenty of golfers who buy the best clubs in the hope it will cure their hook/slice. There are plenty of club tennis players who get the best racket they can afford. Loads of kids buy branded football boots in teh hope it will give them an edge like the star player who endorses them. 


All the dancers on Strictly Come Dancing are kitted out in the right footwear - I assume in the hope that the pro's will get the best they can out of their 'celebrity'.


Ladies and Gentlemen learning salsa. Treat yourself to the right footwear. You know it makes sense.


Jon 
2nd July 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment