Thursday 26 April 2012

Dancing with Beginners

Something that often surprises me is the approach of guys dancing with ladies who are beginners. 

As I run the club and am seen taking advanced classes, beginner ladies often look panicked if I ask them for a dance. I do my best to re-assure them that I will keep it simple. As a rule of thumb I will start with the very basics and then slowly but surely move my way through moves working out what the lady can dance. 

At some point, I will hit the level that is too hard for them. After that, I stick to moves I know they can dance. 

Sadly I often have to watch moderately experienced male dancers forcing beginner ladies through moves they clearly have no idea how to dance. Too many dances like this and I know I am not going to see the ladies again as they are put off ever trying salsa again. Thanks guys, I needed that....

I don't know if there is some ego switch in these guys heads that thinks that if they aren't seen dancing 'complicated' stuff, then everyone will think that's all they know.

Here's my advice to the men:

KISS - Keep it simple stupid

Simple moves danced well are so much better than complex ones that become a mess.

Respect the lady you are dancing with, its not your job to make her get through your move, its your job to make her feel she's the best dancer on the floor.

If all the men look after the ladies, then more ladies will progress and we'll have lots more ladies to dance with.


As for beginner men dancing with experienced ladies? Sadly it just seems to be too scary to go and do. Beginner guys just go and ask, the ladies really don't mind

Jon
26/04/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment